Chapter 11: Transfers
11.010 Bankruptcy Sales-Trustee or Receiver
Chapter 11 Transfers
11.010 Bankruptcy Sales—Trustee or Receiver (CVC §5909)
Bankruptcy Trustee—The person appointed by the bankruptcy court to take charge of the debtor estate, to collect assets, to bring suit on the debtor’s claims, to defend actions against it, and to otherwise administer the debtor’s estate.
Bankruptcy Receiver—The person appointed by the court to preserve the property of a debtor pending an action against the debtor or applying the property in satisfaction of a creditor’s claim. The receiver represents the court and all parties of interest in a litigation, property, or funds entrusted to that person.
In addition to the procedures listed in the Basic Transfer Requirements section in this chapter or Chapter 12 for nonresident vehicles, the following must be submitted:
A certified copy of the trustee’s bond, the court order appointing a receiver, or a court order confirming the sale of the vehicle to the applicant must be submitted with the application.
- Documents signed by the trustee or receiver for the debtor wherever the debtor’s signature is required. The releasing signatures of owners other than the debtor must be obtained.
- For new vehicles belonging to a bankrupt California dealer:
- An Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form or the manufacturer’s certificate of origin or factory invoice (original or certified copy) issued or endorsed to the dealer.
- A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) to the applicant.
- An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form in the applicant’s name.