Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 21 of 38

Chapter 20: Replacements and Substitutes

20.065 Salvage or Nonrepairable Vehicle Certificates (VC §§4459 and 9265)

When a salvage certificate is lost, stolen, or mutilated to the extent that essential information is no longer legible, the insurance company or person who applied for the original salvage or nonrepairable vehicle certificate may apply for a replacement.

The following must be submitted:

  • An Application for Salvage Certificate or Nonrepairable Vehicle Certificate (REG 488C) form.
  • A Statment of Facts (REG 256) form, which describes the vehicle and certifies to the disposition of the original salvage or nonrepairable vehicle certificate.
  • The duplicate fee and any other fees.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Collect the replacement fee and any other fees. Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.
  • Process the replacement certificate application and clear normal.
  • Forward the application to the Special Processing Unit (SPU) in DMV headquarters, if the salvage owner is not shown on the database.

Los salvage owner only displays on the database when an automated salvage certificate has been issued. The salvage owner is not updated when a salvage certificate is issued manually.

Nonreceipt of Salvage Certificate—Issue a no-fee replacement salvage certificate when DMV’s records show a salvage certificate was issued, and the applicant states it was not received. Allow 30 days from issuance of the salvage certificate before processing a nonreceipt application.

The following must be submitted:

  • A REG 488C.
  • A REG 256, certifying they did not receive the original salvage certificate issued by DMV.