Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 16 of 38

Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles

15.040 Dealer Sales (VC §38080 and §38200)

California-licensed dealers must:

  • Report sales of OHVs in the usual manner.
  • Have a California dealer’s license specifically for California retailers of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Process applications received without a dealer’s Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form in accordance with the New Vehicles Sold by Non-Franchised Dealer in Chapter 6.
  • Mark “OHV” on all copies of the report of sale document.
  • Make sure that the engine number y the vehicle identification number (VIN) are shown on OHV applications for motorcycles and ATVs (VC §38041).
  • An engine number is not required for a 4-wheel motorcycle or 4-wheel ATV.

The motorcycle cross index fee is not due for an off-highway motorcycle.