Chapter 27: Information Requests
27.010 Commercial Requesters
Chapter 27 Information Requests
27.010 Commercial Requesters (CVC §1810.2)
DMV is authorized by California Vehicle Code (CVC) §1810.2 to establish Commercial Requester Accounts (CRA) and issue requester codes for individuals, businesses, or organizations for the purpose of requesting information from DMV records. A requester may be approved for driver license, vehicle, vessel, financial responsibility, and/or occupational licensing information.
DMV has two types of requesters:
- Requesters who are preapproved to receive information from DMV to fulfill a legitimate business need pursuant to: CVC §§1808, 4465, 22851.8, California Civil Code §§3067-3075, or California Harbors and Navigation Code §§500-509.
- Requesters who are not preapproved and request DMV record information on a one-time or occasional basis as authorized under CVC §1808.
CRA are established for applicants who:
- Have a legitimate business need for obtaining DMV information.
- Properly complete and return the appropriate forms.
- Pay the required application fee.
- File an acceptable bond in the amount of $50,000, if required.
- Agree to establish and maintain logs which track the receipt, use, and disssemination of DMV information.
- Agree to maintain the confidentiality of the information provided.
A requester code limits access based on the requester’s statutory authority to receive the following:
- Residence address.
- Mailing address (when available).
- Basic record information (without address).
- Residence address with post notification to the subject.
As a requester, information may be obtained directly from DMV via hardcopy, magnetic tape, online, or indirectly through an approved information provider or reseller. A list of approved information providers may be obtained at www.dmv.ca.gov.
A requester code may be denied if the proposed use of the information is not related to the legitimate business needs or commercial purposes of the requester and:
- The requester code may be cancelled immediately if the requested information is used for a purpose other than that which the requester code was issued.
- Requesters are required to maintain the security of the information received from DMV and to protect it from unauthorized access.
- Commercial Requesters may be subject to an audit by DMV.
All information requests from commercial requesters must be forwarded to DMV headquarters for processing. Additional Commercial Requester information may be obtained at www.dmv.ca.gov.