Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 19 of 38

Chapter 18: Lien Sales – Abandoned – Abated Vehicles

18.090 Military Lien Sales

Vehicles abandoned on U.S. government property (principally military bases) are sold by U.S. government agencies under the provisions of federal law.

Some military bases contract with private companies to remove the vehicle and conduct the lien sale. When this occurs and there are excess proceeds from the lien sale, the fees in excess of the amount of lien and costs of the sale will not be submitted to DMV.

The excess amount is returned to the military installation by the private lien sale service for deposit into the appropriate account of the U.S. Treasury. In such cases, the lienholder (military) will submit a Statement of Facts (REG 256) (PDF) with the Certification of Lien Sale for Vehicle Valued $4,000 or Less (REG 168A) (PDF) or the Certification of Lien Sale for Vehicle Valued Over $4,000 or From a Self-Serve Storage Facility (REG 168) (PDF) which specifies the name and address of the federal office where claims may be filed. The Lien Sale Unit in DMV headquarters maintains a file of all excess proceeds deposited with the federal government during the past four years.

The following must be submitted:

  • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF).
  • The properly endorsed California Certificate of Title. In lieu of signatures on the title, accept one of the following:
    — A bill of sale.
    — A Certificate of Sale by a U.S. government agency.
  • The evidence of notice regarding sale of vehicle to the last owners of record from a government agency. The notice should show the vehicle description, owners’ name, and state the owners were notified.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) (PDF), unless there is a vehicle record on the database or the California Certificate of Title is submitted.
  • The odometer mileage disclosure on a complying title or on the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), as appropriate.
  • A smog certification, if appropriate.

Forward to DMV headquarters if the required documentation has been provided.