Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 25 of 38

Chapter 24: Vessels

24.160 Unavailable Records (VC §9917)

The application is processed as an original registration when a vessel record is not on file, the applicant does not have either the California Certificate of Ownership or certificate of number, and the vessel is located in California. The following must be submitted:

  • Completed Application for Registration Number, Certificate of Ownership, and Certificate of Number for Undocumented Vessel (BOAT 101).
  • A Statement of Facts REG 256 completed by the applicant stating:
    • How, when, and from whom the vessel was acquired.
    • What effort has been made to contact the last owner(s) of record to obtain evidence of ownership and why it was not obtained.
    • The current value of the vessel.

Copies of tax records for the vessel which show the applicant paid taxes to the County Assessor’s Office may be accepted.

A bond is required for a vessel valued at $2,000 or more if ownership documents cannot be furnished.

  • The original registration and Quagga/Zebra Mussel fees.

Refer to Quagga/Zebra Mussel Fee section in this chapter for additional/exemption information.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Process the transaction using the old CF number, if there is one, and key as“inventory issued.”
  • Give the applicant the BOAT 3 booklet.
  • For motorized vessels, issue one set of Vessel Carbon Monoxide Warning Stickers and the companion brochure. Advise the applicant to affix the stickers as explained in the BOAT 3.