Chapter 9: Wholesale Report of Sale
9.030 Wholesale Auto Auction Dealer Sales
Chapter 9 Wholesale Vehicle Transaction
9.030 Wholesale Auto Auction Dealer Sales (CVC §§4456, 5901, and 6100)
Wholesale auto auction dealers must report vehicle sales on a Vehicle Auction Wholesale Report of Sale (REG 398).
- The REG 398 includes the phrase “sold through” and contains the:
- name, address, and dealer number of the selling dealer;
- name, address, and number of the dealer conducting the auction;
- date of delivery and the actual odometer mileage reading at the time of delivery to that dealer; and
- name, address, and dealer number of the dealer acquiring the vehicle.
- The wholesale auto auction dealer must also complete the “Sold through Auction if Applicable” portion of the “dealer transactions only” section on the reverse side of the title.
- If the title does not contain a specific space for the auto auction endorsement, the auction must complete one of the dealer sections on the title.
- Endorsement in the margin of the title is not allowed.
- If there is insufficient space in the dealer endorsement section, a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment form (REG 262) must be completed.