Chapter 18: Lien Sales – Abandoned – Abated Vehicles
18.060 Disposition of Vehicles Removed by a Local Abatement Procedure
Chapter 18 Lien Sales—Abandoned—Abated Vehicles
18.060 Disposition of Vehicles Removed by a Local Abatement Procedure (CVC §22661)
Follow the chart below to process a removal of an abated vehicle by local enforcement.
Issue a 10-day notice of intention to abate and remove the vehicle or parts.
The 10-day notice is not required if:
- The property owner and the owner of the vehicle sign a release authorizing removal and waive further interest in the vehicle, or part
- If the property owner signs a release authorizing removal and waives interest in the vehicle, and the vehicle is:
- Inoperable due to the absence of motor, transmission, or wheels.
- Incapable of being towed
- Valued at less than $200 and is determined by the local agency to be a public nuisance.
Within five days of removal of an abandoned vehicle, submit a Notice – Removal of Abandoned Vehicle (REG 104) form to DMV. Attach any available evidence of registration, such as:
- Registration Card.
- Certificate of Title.
- License plates or a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form certifying that the license plates were destroyed.
Dismantle the vehicle or dispose of it at a licensed dismantler or a scrap iron processor.