Chapter 18: Lien Sales – Abandoned – Abated Vehicles
18.130 Seizure and Sale of Vehicles
Chapter 18 Lien Sales—Abandoned—Abated Vehicles
18.130 Seizure and Sale of Vehicles (CVC §§9800 and 980l)
Unpaid registration, vehicle license, transfer, parking violation fees, and use tax constitute a lien on a vehicle by DMV. DMV may seize and sell the vehicle in order to collect unpaid fees.
The following must be submitted:
- An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
- A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form.
- A Notice of Seizure and Sale (INV 57) form with the mailing receipt(s) attached, for certified letter(s) to the registered owner and legal owner/lienholder of record, if any.
- A completed bill of sale on the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262).
- The number of the applicant’s credit receipt for the amount of the bid shown on the application. If the applicant has lost the credit receipt, payment will be verified by DMV headquarters.
- The odometer mileage disclosure on a REG 262.
- A smog certification, if appropriate.
- Fees due.
A REG 262 from DMV to the buyer must be part of the application, if DMV becomes the owner and subsequently sells the vehicle. DMV may withhold use tax, if due, from the proceeds of the sale.