Section 25 of 38
Chapter 24: Vessels
24.180 Vessels Required to be Registered in California
The following vessels must be registered: (CVC §9850)
- Undocumented motor boats.
- Undocumented sailboats over eight feet in length or with a motor.
- Amphibious vehicle/vessels.
Exception: A floating, stationary residential dwelling (floating home) not designed to have power of its own, dependent for utilities from a source on shore, and which has a permanent sewage hookup on shore (CVC §9840).
- Inflatable vessels with motors.
- Personal watercraft ski-type vessels (for example, jet ski or wet bike).
- Shuttle craft. A shuttle craft is a full-size, open bow, jet boat similar to a barge. It is powered and steered by a personal watercraft.