Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 27 of 38

Chapter 26: Refunds

26.035 Refunds on Undelivered New Vehicles

A dealer may request a refund for a new vehicle registered but not delivered to or driven from the dealer’s premises by the prospective buyer.

The following must be submitted:

  • An Application for Refund (ADM 399) form.
  • The Dealer’s Non-Delivery Certification PART II (REG 477) form.
  • The operating copy of the Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form.
  • The California Certificate of Title, registration card, license plates, and stickers.

A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form can be completed for a refund of PNO fees paid in lieu of registration fees. Send the California Certificate of Title marked “Canceled” to the appropriate Registration Processing Unit (RPU) in DMV headquarters.