Section 16 of 38
Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles
15.040 Dealer Sales
Chapter 15 Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)
15.040 Dealer Sales (CVC §38080 and §38200)
California-licensed dealers must:
- Report sales of OHVs in the usual manner.
- Have a California dealer’s license specifically for California retailers of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and snowmobiles.
The procedures below must be followed:
- Process applications received without a dealer’s Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form in accordance with the New Vehicles Sold by Non-Franchised Dealer in Chapter 6.
- Mark “OHV” on all copies of the report of sale document.
- Make sure that the engine number and the vehicle identification number (VIN) are shown on OHV applications for motorcycles and ATVs (CVC §38041).
- An engine number is not required for a 4-wheel motorcycle or 4-wheel ATV.
The motorcycle cross index fee is not due for an off-highway motorcycle.