Section 22 of 38
Chapter 21: Special Plates
21.235 Reassignment of Special License Plates
21.235 Reassignment of Special License Plates (CVC §§5108 and 5109)
A license plate owner may reassign his/her special license plates to any vehicle registered to the license plate owner. Most special license plates cannot be reassigned to another person, except as shown in the Special License Plate Transfers section in this chapter.
Owner-Issued License Plates:
Bicentenial Bill of Rights
Coastal Commission (Whale Tail)
Commemorative Collegiate (UCLA)
Congressional Medal of Honor
Gold Star Family
Lake Tahoe Conservancy
Legislative (fee paid)
Legion of Valor
Olympic Training Center
Pearl Harbor Survivor
Former Prisoner of War
Year of Manufacture
License Plate Removal—the following must be submitted:
- An Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (REG 156) form.
- The fees due to currently register the vehicle. A substitute license plate fee is not due.
License Plate Assignment—the following must be submitted:
- The registration card in the license plate owner’s name or the documents to register the vehicle to the applicant. The vehicle must be currently registered or the renewal fees paid.
- A Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) or a Special Recognition License Plate Application (REG 17A) completed by the applicant showing reassignment of the license plates.
- The license plates currently assigned to the vehicle.
- The fees due.
When special license plates with specific issuance requirements such as DP, DV, CMOH, or POW License Plates are reassigned or a name is added or deleted from the vehicle ownership, obtain a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form stating the special license plates belong to the registered owner.
Reassignment of 12/31/XX Permanent Expiration Date License Plates (CVC §5110)—Legislative (fee-paid and annual exempt) License Plates are assigned a fixed 12/31 annual expiration date. When the license plates are transferred/reassigned, the registration expiration date for the vehicle to which the license plates are assigned must be changed to a 12/31 expiration date.
Reassignment With a Duplicate License Plate Application—the following must be submitted:
- A Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) or a Special Recognition License Plate Application (REG 17A) form showing replacement and reassignment of the license plates and whether a sticker must be issued.
- The fees due.
Additional Requirements for Special License Plate Reassignments—In addition to the regular reassignment requirements:
|If a Special License Plate Is Reassigned||The Application Must Include|
|From an auto or commercial motor vehicle to a trailer||One personalized license plate.|
|From a trailer to an auto or commercial motor vehicle||The Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) form which shows reassignment and replacement of one license plate.|
|To a leased vehicle||If the license plate owner is not the lessee on the vehicle record, a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form from the lessor authorizing use of the applicant’s license plate on the vehicle.|
|To a motorcycle from an auto, trailer, or commercial motor vehicleFrom a motorcycle to an auto, trailer, or commercial motor vehicle|
NOTE: A duplicate license plate(s) must be ordered because of the change in the license plate size.
|For the vehicle the special license plates are assigned to:|
A Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) form completed for reassignment and replacement of the license plate(s).The current license plates.
|For the vehicle the special license plates are removed from:|
An Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (REG 156) form.The personalized license plates.