Section 27 of 38
Chapter 26: Refunds
26.040 Refunds on Unrecovered Stolen Vehicles
Chapter 26 Refunds
26.040 Refunds on Unrecovered Stolen Vehicles (CVC §42231)
Use the following guidelines to determine if a refund may be requested for a stolen vehicle:
|If the Owner
|And the Vehicle Is
|Then the Owner
|Already paid the renewal fees for the upcoming year
|Stolen prior to the registration expiration date
|May apply for a refund.
The following must be submitted:
• A complete Application for Refund (ADM 399) form.
• The registration card and unused sticker. The procedures below must be followed:
• Forward the refund request with the registration card and sticker to the appropriate Registration Processing Unit (RPU) at DMV headquarters.
|Paid the renewal fees on the vehicle
|One of the following:
• Stolen after the fees became due
• Unrecovered for 60 days or more
• Declared a “total loss” REFERENCE:
CCR §§155.00- 155.10
|May apply for a prorated vehicle license fee (VLF) refund (CRTC §10902(d)).
The requirements are:
• A Department of Justice (DOJ) stop must be on the vehicle record or the refund application must include a copy of the vehicle theft report.
• The stolen vehicle must be registered to the owner of the salvage value (usually the insurance company) in accordance with CVC §5902.
• At least one full month of “unused” registration from the date of loss must be remaining and the amount to be refunded must be at least $1 after DMV’s administrative fee is deducted.
When a prorated VLF refund is appropriate, the following must be submitted:
- A completed Application for Vehicle License Fee Refund (REG 65–Part A) form to DMV.
If the vehicle is an unrecovered total loss and:
|The Applicant Is
|The Procedures Below Must Be Followed
|The owner of record
|Clear the REG 65 application.
Not the owner of record
• Return the REG 65.
• Request the documents required to transfer ownership on a report of deposit of fees (RDF).
A prorated refund is not appropriate or allowed for a vehicle exempt from payment of VLF. Example: A vehicle registered to a disabled veteran or nonresident military owner.