Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 20 of 38

Chapter 19: Salvage – Nonrepairable – Junk Vehicles

19.065 Revived Salvage—California Record

A revived salvage vehicle is a vehicle that was reported to the California DMV by the insurance company or owner as a total loss and has been restored to operational condition.

A salvage vehicle reported dismantled under CVC§11520 is a revived junk and the application must be processed as shown in the Revived Junk section in this chapter.

The inspection fee for a revived junk or salvage vehicle application must be paid prior to the vehicle inspection/verification.

The Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form or an additional verification of vehicle is not required when a California Highway Patrol (CHP) Certificate Inspection (CHP 97C) form is submitted on a revived junk or salvage vehicle application.

The following must be submitted:

  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
    • The cost of the vehicle must include labor costs, even if the labor was done by the applicant.

The evidence of ownership for the vehicle, such as:

  • A California Salvage Certificate.
  • An Application for Salvage Certificate or Nonrepairable Vehicle Certificate(REG 488C) form marked duplicate, if the original salvage certificate is missing and a completed Statement of Facts (REG 256) form which describes the vehicle and certifies to the disposition of the original salvage certificate.The California Certificate of Title with a REG 488C.
  • An Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title (REG 227) form with a REG 488C.

Note: If an owner revives a vehicle prior to obtaining a salvage certificate, a completed REG 488C and the salvage certificate fee are still required, but it is not necessary to actually issue the salvage certificate.

  • Bills of sale, as needed, to complete the chain of ownership.

A report of sale is required for a vehicle sold by a California dealer.

  • A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) form for the odometer disclosure statement, if applicable.
  • A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form for a commercial vehicle over 6,001 pounds unladen, except pickups.
  • A REG 31 form. Previously junked vehicles (California or nonresident) must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee or referred to the CHP for inspection, as appropriate.

Previously salvaged California vehicles being reregistered for on-highway use must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee or referred to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) for inspection, as appropriate. Previously salvaged nonresident vehicles being reregistered for on-highway use must be referred to the CHP for inspection.

The vehicle must be referred to the CHP for inspection if a New York Salvage Certificate is submitted as proof of ownership.

Vehicles originally manufactured with air bags must be equipped with air bags in good working order to be reregistered. If it is observed during the verification process that the air bags are missing (hole in steering column, passenger side glove compartment area, or side door panels), indicating that the airbags have been deployed and/or removed, the vehicle must be inspected at a CHP Salvage Inspection Station.

  • Official brake and light adjustment certificates.
    • Certificate of Compliance-Brake Adjustment (B-91, REV. 4/99) and Certificate of Compliance-Lamp Adjustment (L-91, REV. 4/99) with any issue date. These forms are printed on dotted gray paper with “BA” (brake) and “LA” (lamp) prefixes in the certificate numbers.
    • Certificate of Adjustment-Brake Adjustment (B-91, REV. 11/08) and Certificate of Adjustment-Lamp Adjustment (L-91, REV. 11/08) issued before November 30, 2015. These forms are printed on plain white paper with “BC” (brake) and “LC” (lamp) prefixes in the certificate numbers.

Brake and lamp certificates REV. 11/08 presented with an issue date after November 29, 2015 will not be accepted. The technician must advise the customer the certificate is not valid and a new certificate is required.

  • When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles, such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles, is not located within a reasonable distance, a REG 256 from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order may be accepted. Brake and light certificates are not required for trailers with a GVW under 3,000 pounds.

Brake and light adjustment certificates over 90-days are acceptable.

  • A weight certificate for a commercial vehicle under 10,001 pounds GVW (6,001 unladen pounds). If the vehicle is over 10,000 pounds GVW or a permanent trailer identification (PTI) trailer, the estimated weight may be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form.
  • A smog certification, if appropriate. Only biennial smog requirements apply to a vehicle retained by the owner of record.
  • All fees due, including the $50 Salvage/Dismantled Vehicles Inspection fee and the Substitute Plate fee. Fees and penalties are due if the California registration has expired and a planned nonoperation (PNO) is not on file. Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Collect the $50 junk and salvage vehicle inspection fee prior to a vehicle inspection/verification. (this fee should also be collected prior to inspection on out of state vehicle applications).
  • Not require a REG 31 or additional verification when a vehicle is referred to CHP or a CHP 97C is submitted.
  • Retain the vehicle license fee (VLF) class if the registered owner remains the same.
  • Reclassify the vehicle based on the purchase price, if ownership is transferred, but retain the expiration date on record.
  • Apply fees posted prior to the issuance of the salvage certificate to this transaction.