Section 7 of 38
Chapter 6: New Vehicles Sold by California Dealers
6.020 New Vehicles Altered Before Registration
Chapter 6 New Vehicles Sold by California Dealers
6.020 New Vehicles Altered Before Registration (CVC §4150)
Cab and Chassis—A cab and chassis or chassis only requires installation of a body before registration of the vehicle can be completed. A cab and chassis with a body installed is considered a complete vehicle. For example, the addition of a trailer
hitch to a cab and chassis makes a complete vehicle and is assigned a body type of chassis with hitch body type model (BTM) “TRAC”.
If an application to register a cab and chassis or a chassis only is presented the procedures below must be followed:
- The application cannot be completed until after the body has been installed.
Exception—If a body will never be installed, the following must be submitted:
- A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form completed by the owner, which states a body will never be installed and indicates the intended use of the vehicle. Do not accept an application without this REG 256.
Exception: A REG 256 is not required for vehicles registered to an exempt agency.
- Fees due.
After a body is installed—the following must be submitted:
Evidence of ownership for the body or materials as follows:
|Cost/value of the body or materials is $5,000 or more
|The original or copies of the original bill(s) of sale, invoice(s), or sales slip(s) are required.
|Cost/value of the body or materials is $4,999 or less
|A REG 256 may be accepted in lieu of the documents indicated above.
|Installed body was removed from another vehicle owned by the applicant
|A REG 256 is required which states the body was removed from another vehicle owned by the applicant and indicates the license plate number of the vehicle from which the body was removed.
- An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form, if needed to clarify the vehicle description.
- A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form or an Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form.
- A weight certificate for a commercial vehicle weighing less than 10,001 pounds unladen. If a REG 397 is submitted, the dealer may certify the unladen weight for:
- Vehicles weighing up to 8,000 pounds unladen.
- Vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds unladen.
- PTI trailers.
- Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form for a commercial vehicle over 6,001 pounds unladen, except pickups.
- A smog certification unless a REG 397 is submitted with the application.
- Odometer disclosure statement on a Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), if applicable.
- Fees from the date of first operation. Fees must be paid within 20 days of the date of first operation to avoid penalties. If the actual date of first operation is after the “Date First Operated” indicated on the REG 397, the applicant must submit any permit(s) issued between that date and the date fees were paid or complete a REG 256 explaining how the vehicle was moved.