Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 27 of 38

Chapter 26: Refunds

26.055 Refunds on Vehicles Delivered Out of State

If eligible, a dealer may request a refund of fees paid on a vehicle delivered out of state. Use the following chart to determine if the dealer is eligible for a refund:

If the Vehicle Was Delivered
Using the operating copy of the Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form or Report of Sale–Used Vehicle (REG 51) form
The fees cannot be refunded.
Using a One Trip Permit (REG 402 T)
The fees may be refunded.
Forward the request with the miscellaneous work to the appropriate Registration Processing Unit (RPU) in the DMV headquarters. RPU will mark the vehicle record “Cancelled.”
On a trailer, flatbed truck, or car carrier

If the California Certificate of Title was surrendered to another state to obtain registration in that state, DMV will retain the title only and PNO fees and mark the vehicle record with the “Surrendered” status.

The following must be submitted:

  • An Application for Refund (ADM 399) form.
  • The Certificate of Title, registration card, license plates, and stickers.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form completed by the selling dealer stating the customer’s operating copy of the REG 397 or REG 51 was submitted to DMV at the time of sale and how the vehicle was moved from the dealership when delivered to the buyer.