Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 22 of 38

Chapter 21: Special Plates

21.160 Motorized Bicycle (Moped) License Plates (VC §§5030-5039)

Motorized bicycles (mopeds) must be licensed before they are operated or moved upon a highway. A license plate and identification card (ID) are issued. A title is not issued. Mopeds are not subject to annual renewal.

Dealers (VC §5034)—DMV does not license moped dealers. Moped dealers may apply for moped license plates to use for demonstration or delivery of a moped. The license plates may be moved from one moped to another. Type transaction code (TTC) DCS inquiries on a moped dealer license plate will show “Dealer” in the VIN field of the database record.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • A completed Motorized Bicycle Instructions/Application (REG 230) form. Leave the identifying vehicle information section blank.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form explaining the applicant is in retail sales of mopeds.
  • The fees due. A fee is due for each license plate issued.

Original License Plate Applications—the following must be submitted:

  • A REG 230 form.
  • The fees due. A late penalty is not assessed and use tax is not collected. Exempt agencies are exempt from fees other than for duplicates.

Parking Violations—DMV returns any moped parking violations received to the parking agency and does not add them to the moped record.

Speeding in Excess of 30 mph—A moped capable of attaining speeds in excess of 30 mph is subject to registration as a motor-driven cycle (motorcycle). A registration application and the required fees must be submitted if a moped operator is cited for speeds in excess of 30 mph. Fees become due upon first operation after modification of the moped to increase its speed to more than 30 mph.

Transfers—Sections C and D of the REG 230 must be properly completed and mailed with the ID card and the moped transfer fee to DMV at the address on the form. A late transfer penalty is not assessed and use tax is not collected. The Motorized Bicycle License Plate remains on the moped.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Required—A VIN is required to license a moped. Suspense any application to register a moped without a VIN to SPU at DMV headquarters. A VIN will be assigned by SPU and instructions for placing the VIN on the moped are printed on the moped ID card.