Section 24 of 38
Chapter 23: Bonds and Certifications
23.045 Specially Constructed (SPCNS) Vehicle or Vessel
A vehicle or vessel bond is required for an SPCNS vehicle or vessel built from an altered vehicle, component parts of an altered vehicle or vessel (registered or formerly registered in California or any other state), or from materials not previously part of another vehicle (wheels and tires excluded) to which an assigned vehicle identification number (VIN) license plate is issued, unless one of the following conditions exist:
- The evidence of ownership documents submitted identify a VIN which can be verified against the vehicle.
- The value of the completed vehicle is $4,999 or less.
- The value of the vehicle’s major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, body) for which bills of sale cannot be obtained is $4,999 or less.
- The value of the completed vessel is $1,999 or less.
- The value of the vessel’s component parts (engine, hull, and all component parts for the navigation and/or comfort of crew or passengers), for which bills of sale cannot be obtained is $1,999 or less.
Original evidence of ownership such as invoices, receipts, or bills of sale for materials used in constructing the vehicle must be submitted as part of the application.
Copies of documents, such as invoices, receipts, or bills of sale for materials purchased in bulk for construction of “homemade” vehicles or vessels may, at the office manager’s discretion, be accepted if accompanied by a A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form, the applicant indicating the materials were purchased for use in constructing the vehicle or vessel.