Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 20 of 38

Chapter 19: Salvage – Nonrepairable – Junk Vehicles

19.070 Revived Salvage—New or Nonresident (VC §11519)

A vehicle never registered in California (such as a new or nonresident) and reported as salvaged can be registered in California.

The inspection fee for a revived junk or salvage vehicle application must be paid prior to the vehicle inspection/verification.

The Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form or an additional verification of vehicle is not required when a California Highway Patrol (CHP) Certificate Inspection (CHP 97C) form is submitted on a revived junk or salvage vehicle application.

The following must be submitted:

  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
  • The California Salvage Certificate, out of state salvage certificate, or out of state title with a completed Application for Salvage Certificate or Nonrepairable Vehicle Certificate (REG 488C) form.

Note: Evidence of nonresident registration is not required when fees are collected from the date of sale as shown on the Salvage Certificate.

  • A Used Vehicle Report of Sale (REG 51) form, if applicable.
  • A Used Vehicle Certification (REG 496) form, if applicable.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form from the insurer or buyer stating the vehicle was never registered in California, unless this fact is indicated on the REG 343.
  • A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form for a commercial vehicle over 6,001 pounds unladen, except pickups.
  • A REG 31 or, if the vehicle was referred to CHP for inspection, the CHP 97C.

Note: If a New York Salvage Certificate is accepted as proof of ownership, the vehicle must be referred to the CHP for verification of the confidential number.

  • A weight certificate for a commercial vehicle weighing less than 10,001 pounds unladen. If the vehicle is operated over 10,000 pounds GVW or is a permanent trailer identification (PTI) trailer, the estimated weight may be shown on a REG 256.
  • Official brake and light adjustment certificates.
    • Certificate of Compliance-Brake Adjustment (B-91, REV. 4/99) and Certificate of Compliance-Lamp Adjustment (L-91, REV. 4/99) with any issue date. These forms are printed on dotted gray paper with “BA” (brake) and “LA” (lamp) prefixes in the certificate numbers.
    • Certificate of Adjustment-Brake Adjustment (B-91, REV. 11/08) and Certificate of Adjustment-Lamp Adjustment (L-91, REV. 11/08) issued before November 30, 2015. These forms are printed on plain white paper with “BC” (brake) and “LC” (lamp) prefixes in the certificate numbers.

Note: Brake and lamp certificates REV. 11/08 presented with an issue date after November 29, 2015 will not be accepted. Advise the customer the certificate is not valid and a new certificate is required.

  • When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles, such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, accept a REG 256 from a repair shop certifying the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for trailers under 3,000 pounds GVW.
  • A smog certification, if appropriate.
  • A Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) for the odometer disclosure statement, if applicable.
  • All fees due, including the prior history fee. For vehicles with valid registration on the date of loss, fees become due upon the first known operation after the sale date shown on the salvage certificate. Fees must be paid within 20 days of the date of first operation to avoid penalties. Refer to Chapter 4 for transactions not subject to use tax.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Collect the $50 junk and salvage vehicle inspection fee prior to a vehicle inspection/verification. (this fee should also be collected prior to inspection on out of state vehicle applications)
  • Not require a REG 31 or additional verification when a vehicle is referred to CHP or a CHP 97C is submitted.