Section 4 of 38
Chapter 3: Collection and Payment of Fees and Penalties
3.030 Dealer’s Document Preparation and Electronic Filing Service Fee
Chapter 3 Collection and Payment Of Fees and Penalties
3.030 Dealer’s Document Preparation and Electronic Filing Service Fee (CVC §§ 4456.5 and 11713.1)
The following rules apply when collecting fees from buyers:
- Dealers participating in the Business Partner Automation (BPA) program may charge buyers customers an $80 documentation fee per transaction.
- Nonparticipating dealers may only charge a $65 documentation fee per transaction.
- A dealer may charge the purchaser or lessor an electronic filing fee, which does not exceed the actual amount the dealer is charged by a first-line service provider. California regulations prohibit consumers from being charged more than $29.
- A dealer may not charge an electronic filing fee to the purchaser or lessor if the dealer uses a registration service to complete the electronic filing process.
- A dealer may not collect, or must immediately refund, an electronic filing fee to the purchaser or lessor if the dealer is unable to complete the transaction electronically for any reason.
This fee is not required or collected by DMV and it is unlawful to represent this charge as a governmental fee.