Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 12 of 38

Chapter 11: Transfers

11.055 Replacement Titles

Chapter 11 Transfers

11.055 Replacement Titles

A properly endorsed Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title (REG 227) form may be accepted for any transfer of a California-registered vehicle when the California Certificate of Title is lost, stolen, missing, or illegible/mutilated. However, the California Certificate of Title is the only document that can be used to release the lien of a vehicle two model years old or newer.