Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 16 of 38

Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles

15.075 Moving Permits (VC §4002)

A Vehicle Moving Permit (REG 172) may be issued to have an OHV verified or to have a frame or engine number assigned. Do not issue a One Trip Permit (REG 402).

Unregistered off-highway vehicles (OHVs) transported on a trailer or pickup truck no longer require a special transportation permit. Customers may transport OHVs on a trailer or pickup truck from the dealership without paying registration fees or obtaining a permit.

The procedures below must be followed:
New legislation ends the requirement for a special transportation permit to transport certain OHVs as described in Vehicle Code §38020.