Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 6 of 38

Chapter 5: Odometer Mileage Reporting

Chapter 5 Odometer Mileage Reporting

5.000 Introduction (VC §§1819, 4751, 5900, 5901, and 9255)

Mandatory Reporting—In compliance with the Federal Truth in Mileage Act of 1986, odometer mileage disclosure must be collected by DMV on original registration and registered owner transfer applications of the following vehicles that
are nine model years old and newer:

  • Automobiles
  • Commercial vehicles with an unladen weight of 8,500 pounds or less or a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 16,000 pounds or less
  • Motorcycles

Determine the exempt vehicle year model by subtracting 10 years from the current calendar year. For example, in calendar year 2014, 2004 and older year models are exempt.

Reporting Exceptions—Odometer mileage disclosure is not required for:

  • Vehicles 10 model years old and older (see Mandatory Reporting above).
  • Commercial vehicles with an unladen weight of 8,501 pounds or more or a GVW of 16,001 pounds or more.
  • Vehicles sold directly by the manufacturer to a U.S. government agency until resold by that agency.
  • New vehicles transferred prior to first retail sale (dealer to dealer).
  • Vehicles being reported as dismantled (junked).
  • Unrecovered stolen vehicles being transferred to the insurance company.
  • Low speed vehicles (LSV), as defined in the Low Speed and Neighborhood Electric Vehicles section in Chapter 2. Federal regulations require an LSV to have a speedometer, but not an odometer.
  • Golf carts, as defined in the Golf Carts section in Chapter 2.

DMV encourages odometer mileage readings for all vehicles, including the vehicles listed above. Accept all properly completed odometer disclosure statements.

Original Registration Applications—Odometer mileage disclosure is completed on the following forms, as determined by the type of application:

  • Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397) form.
  • Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form with no change of ownership.
  • Complying out-of-state title with a change of ownership.
  • Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) with change of ownership on a noncomplying out-of-state title.
  • Out-of-state odometer disclosure statement.
  • Out-of-state secure power of attorney.

Registered Owner Transfers—Odometer mileage disclosure must be on a complying title or a REG 262, as appropriate.