Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 16 of 38

Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles

15.120 Registration of Noncomplying OHV (VC §§4000, 38010, 38012, and 38040)

California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulations limit the use of OHV that do not meet emissions standards applicable for California OHV riding areas (non-complying OHV).

2003 and newer year model OHVs with a “3” or “C” in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) are noncomplying OHVs and are issued a red OHV sticker that permits limited operation of the OHV during designated months (this includes Kazuma and Zebra brand OHVs).

  • Noncomplying OHVs cannot be registered for on-highway use and do not qualify for dual registration (on-highway and off-highway).
  • Ownership of a noncomplying OHV is transferable and the OHV registration is renewable every two years.

ExclusionsAlways issue a green OHV sticker to:

  • 2002 and older year model OHVs.
  • Snowmobiles (SM).
  • Amphibians (AP).
  • Dune buggies (DB).
  • Golf carts (GC).

The Motorcycle Transportation Permit (REG 712) is available for competition (racing) motorcycles. Refer to the Motorcycle Transportation Permit.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Review the application for an off-highway motorcycle or all-terrain vehicle (ATV) for completeness and determine if it can be registered as follows.
If the OHV Is a/anThen
2002 or older year model OHV
• Snowmobile
• Amphibian
• Dune buggy
• Golf cart
It can be registered and issued a green OHV sticker. Refer to the Original OHV Registration Applications section in this chapter for procedures.Collect the OHV fee. Refer to Appendix 1F.
2003 or newer year model OHV with a “3” or “C” in the eighth position of the VIN
Street-legal motorcycles with a “3” or “C” in the eighth position may be registered if assigned the correct on-highway type license code.
It is a noncomplying OHV.Continue processing as shown in this section.Collect the OHV fee. Refer to Appendix 1F.Issue a red OHV sticker.

The title/registration for noncomplying OHV motorcycles and ATVs are branded “NC M/C” or “NC ATV.”