Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 21 of 38

Chapter 20: Replacements and Substitutes

20.085 Stickers Only (VC §§4457 and 4853)

The registered owner (RO) must apply for a substitute sticker when the year sticker is lost, stolen, mutilated, or illegible.

The following must be submitted:

  • An Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents (REG 156) form.
  • The fees due.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • If the REG 156 shows a new address:
    • Key the new address
    • Give the RO a Change of Address (DMV 14) form.
    • Advise the RO to mail the completed DMV 14 to the address shown on the form to correct the address on their DMV records.
  • Collect the substitute sticker fee.
  • Issue the appropriate year sticker.

Month stickers are replaced for no fee and a REG 156 is not required. Verify the month of expiration from the registration or VR record and issue a new month sticker.