Section 2 of 38
Chapter 1: General Registration Information
1.020 Bill of Sale
Chapter 1 General Registration Information
1.020 Bill of Sale (CVC §1652)
A bill of sale, as referenced in this manual generally refers to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) form, but any bill of sale that identifies the vehicle/vessel is acceptable. For convenience, a bill of sale section was included on the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262) available from the supply warehouse and not online. This does not prevent use of the Bill of Sale (REG 135) form, available on DMV website only and not from the supply warehouse. A bill of sale must accurately establish the chain of ownership and is:
- Not required to be notarized or witnessed.
- Not required for sales between California-licensed dealers.
- Not required for dealer sales to a retail purchaser when the title is properly endorsed.
- Acceptable in lieu of the registered owner’s release signature on the title. Print “B/S” on the registered owner release line.
- Acceptable on multiple transfers in lieu of an in-between buyer’s signature on the title. The printed name of the in-between buyer must appear on the title.