Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 20 of 38

Chapter 19: Salvage – Nonrepairable – Junk Vehicles

19.060 Revived Junk (VC §11519)

Vehicles which have been dismantled (as evidenced by a junk receipt or bill of sale from a dismantler) and, when rebuilt, resemble the make of the vehicle originally dismantled are called “revived junk.” Revived junk vehicles are registered by the
original make name and year model.

The inspection fee for a revived junk or salvage vehicle application must be paid prior to the vehicle inspection/verification.

The Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form or an additional verification of vehicle is not required when a California Highway Patrol (CHP) Certificate Inspection (CHP 97C) form is submitted on a revived junk or salvage vehicle application.

The following must be submitted:

  • A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form. The cost information must include the labor cost, even if the labor was provided or done by the applicant. The vehicle license fee (VLF) class is based on the cost shown.
  • The “junk” receipt or a bill of sale from the dismantler. A dismantler’s bill of sale must include the dismantler’s acquisition number.
  • Bill(s) of sale, as necessary, to establish a complete chain of ownership.
  • Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form for a commercial vehicle over 6,001 unladen pounds, except pickups.
  • A REG 31 form. Previously junked vehicles (California or nonresident) must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee or referred to the CHP for inspection, as appropriate.

Vehicles originally manufactured with air bags must be equipped with air bags in good working order to be reregistered. If it is observed during the verification process that the air bags are missing (hole in steering column, passenger side glove compartment area, or side door panels), indicating that the airbags have been deployed and/or removed, the vehicle must be inspected at a CHP Salvage Inspection Station.

  • A weight certificate for a commercial vehicle under 10,001 pounds GVW (6,001 unladen pounds). If the vehicle is over 10,000 pounds GVW or a permanent trailer identification (PTI) trailer, the estimated weight may be shown on a
    Statement of Facts (REG 256) form.
  • Official brake and light adjustment certificates.
    • Certificate of Compliance-Brake Adjustment (B-91, REV. 4/99) and Certificate of Compliance-Lamp Adjustment (L-91, REV. 4/99) with any issue date. These forms are printed on dotted gray paper with “BA” (brake) and “LA”
      (lamp) prefixes in the certificate numbers.
    • Certificate of Adjustment-Brake Adjustment (B-91, REV. 11/08) and Certificate of Adjustment-Lamp Adjustment (L-91, REV. 11/08) issued before November 30, 2015. These forms are printed on plain white paper with “BC” (brake) and “LC” (lamp) prefixes in the certificate numbers.

Brake and lamp certificates REV. 11/08 presented with an issue date after November 29, 2015 will not be accepted. The technician must advise the customer the certificate is not valid and a new certificate is required.

  • When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles, such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles, is not located within a reasonable distance, a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order may be accepted. Brake and light certificates are not required for trailers with a GVW under 3,000 pounds.

Brake and light adjustment certificates over 90-days old are acceptable.

  • A smog certification, if appropriate.
  • All fees due, including the prior history fee. Fees must be paid within 20 days from the date of first operation to avoid penalty.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Collect the $50 junk and salvage vehicle inspection fee prior to a vehicle inspection/verification. (This fee should also be collected prior to inspection on out of state vehicle applications).
  • Not require a REG 31 or additional verification when a vehicle is referred to CHP or a CHP 97C is submitted.