Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 26 of 38

Chapter 25: Permits and Decals

25.025 Application For Special Motorcycle Transportation Permit (REG 712)(VC §§38088 and 38232)

A REG 712 may be issued for the purpose of transporting a racing motorcycle to and from racing events. The REG 712 is a numbered sticker issued to motorcycles certified by the owner to be used solely in organized racing or competitive events on a closed course, in order to identify the motorcycle while it is being transported on the highway to and from racing events.

The permit must be attached to the vehicle in a position that is clearly visible when the vehicle is being transported and is valid until the motorcycle is either transferred to a new owner or dismantled. The REG 712 is nonrenewable, nontransferable, and becomes invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is either sold or dismantled.

DMV does not issue a California Certificate of Title or identification card with a transportation permit. Evidence of ownership or a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form are not required for the issuance of a motorcycle transportation permit.

Some racing motorcycles may be registered as a noncomplying OHV. To be eligible for noncomplying OHV registration (red sticker), the eighth digit of the VIN must be number “3” or letter “C” and the motorcycle must be certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for noncomplying OHV registration. Refer to Chapter 15 for procedures.

The following must be submitted: