Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 25 of 38

Chapter 24: Vessels

24.135 Revived Junk Vessels

To revive a junk vessel, the following must be submitted:

  • A completed Application for Registration Number, Certificate of Ownership, and Certificate of Number for Undocumented Vessel (BOAT 101).
  • A bill of sale from the person who reported the vessel junked and any other bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership from that person to the applicant.

A bond may be required if a complete chain of ownership cannot be provided. Refer to Chapter 23 for bond requirements.

  • A Statement of Facts REG 256 stating the condition of the vessel.
  • A pencil tracing of the HIN. If there is no HIN on the vessel, have the applicant explain that on a REG 256.
  • The original registration and Quagga/Zebra Mussel fees.

Refer to the Quagga/Zebra Mussel Fee section in this chapter for additional/exemption information.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Issue a new CF number and stickers.
  • Give the applicant an ABCs of California Boating (BOAT 3) booklet.
  • Advise them to affix the CF number shown on the receipt must be affixed to the vessel as described in the BOAT 3.
  • Assign a HIN according to the procedures in this chapter.
  • For motorized vessels, issue one set of Vessel Carbon Monoxide Warning Stickers and companion brochure. Advise the applicant to affix the stickers as explained in the BOAT 3.