Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 20 of 38

Chapter 19: Salvage – Nonrepairable – Junk Vehicles

19.030 Junking a Vehicle—Individual (VC §11520)

Individuals not licensed as dismantlers can junk and/or dismantle a vehicle. The requirements to “junk” a vehicle are essentially the same requirements needed to register and/or transfer a vehicle. However, vehicles transferred for the purpose of being wrecked or dismantled (junk) are exempt from the smog inspection requirement.

Prior to dismantling a vehicle, the vehicle owner must submit an application to DMV to record the vehicle as “Junk.” When an owner dismantles a vehicle prior to doing this, the owner is subject to an investigative service fee.

The following must be submitted:

  • The evidence of ownership for the vehicle. The applicant may not be the registered owner listed on the California Certificate of Title because the vehicle has not been transferred or registered in the applicant’s name. In such cases, the applicant must present the documents needed to record the applicant as the registered owner. This may be any of the following:
    • The California Certificate of Title properly endorsed for transfer.
    • Lien sale documents properly executed for registration and transfer.
    • A salvage certificate properly endorsed for transfer.
    • Nonresident vehicle registration and transfer clearance requirements listed in Chapter 12.
    • Unavailable vehicle registration clearance requirements.Bills of sale, as needed, to complete the chain of ownership. Bills of sale may be accepted in lieu of signatures on the title.
  • Other documentation, if the required evidence of ownership cannot be obtained.
    If the vehicle value is:
  • $5,000 or more, a motor vehicle bond is required.
  • Less than $5,000, the diligent effort/bond is not required and the applicant must submit: Any documentation that establishes ownership of the described vehicle, a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form from the applicant stating: from whom the vehicle was acquired, the current value of the vehicle and that the vehicle is free of liens, not indicated on the application.

Refer to Chapter 23 for bond/diligent effort information.

Documents received at a later date must be surrendered to DMV with a REG 256 form.

  • The license plates assigned to the vehicle. Exception: An off-highway vehicle (OHV) identification plate does not need to be surrendered.
  • A Certificate of Excise Tax Clearance (BOE 1138) form issued by the California Board of Equalization for commercial vehicles weighing more than 7,000 pounds unladen, powered by fuel other than gasoline or diesel (CR&TC§8995).
  • All fees and use tax due. Refer to Chapter 4 for use tax information.

The procedure below must be followed:

  • The applicant must remove and destroy any Clean Air Vehicle decals on the