Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 26 of 38

Chapter 25: Permits and Decals

25.050 Temporary Nonresident Commercial Registration (REG 473)(VC §4004)

A REG 473, valid for a maximum of 90 days, may be obtained as an alternative to California registration for a nonresident commercial vehicle. The vehicle must meet the registration requirements of a foreign jurisdiction with which California has reciprocity, that is subject to California registration but not entitled to exemption from registration or licensing under any of the provisions of the California Vehicle Code or any reciprocity agreement.

The following must be submitted:

  • A completed Application for Temporary Registration Nonresident Commercial Vehicle (REG 471) form.
  • Verification of the valid out-of-state registration (including the vehicle identification number), unladen weight, and other information required to complete the application.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form if the vehicle has been in California more than 20 days, but the fees have been due for less than 20 days. Example: A vehicle entered California with valid registration but has been in a repair terminal due to a breakdown, and the applicant now wants to use it on an intrastate basis.
  • The permit fee. Fees are assessed at the rate of one quarter of each of the full-year fees. Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.
  • For diesel-powered vehicles:
If the CustomerThen
Has a valid international fuel tax agreement
(IFTA) account number
The IFTA account number must be entered in the “Diesel Fuel Permit” field on the REG 471.
Does not have a valid IFTA account• The applicant must purchase a California Fuel Trip Permit.

• A new California Fuel Trip Permit must be purchased each time the vehicle leaves and reenters California during the 90-day period the REG 473 is valid.

You must not do the following:

  • Accept fees on deposit if the applicant cannot furnish the required information. Fees for temporary registration may be accepted only with a complete application.
  • Issue a Temporary Nonresident Commercial registration to Mexico or Newfoundland base-plated vehicles.

Renewal of a Temporary Nonresident Commercial Registration—The application requirements for renewal are the same as for an original application. If more than 20 days have elapsed since the expiration date of the previous temporary registration, the vehicle must be registered with full registration, unless the applicant can submit a REG 256 indicating the vehicle has not been operated to cause full fees to be due after the expiration date.