Section 11 of 38
Chapter 10: Renewals
10.095 Nonresident Military Personnel (NRM)
Chapter 10 Renewal Instructions
10.095 Nonresident Military Personnel (NRM) (50 United States Code §574)
Nonresident military members (NRM) of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in California and their nonresident spouses are exempt from the vehicle license fee (VLF) portion of the California registration fees on any vehicle or trailer coach owned or leased by the NRM person or their nonresident spouse. The NRM or their nonresident spouse must be shown as a registered owner or lessee of the vehicle, and the vehicle cannot be operated for hire.
Military Identification (ID)—All branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and Uniformed Services issue a photo military ID card to military personnel and their dependents. The military member is the “sponsor” named on the dependent’s ID. In person applicants must present valid military ID to be eligible for the VLF exemption.
The following must be submitted:
- A completed Nonresident Military (NRM) Exemption Statement (REG 5045) form.
- If applying in person, the valid military ID.
Mail applications may be processed without verification of military ID.
The procedures below must be followed:
- Verify the applicant’s eligibility for the exemption.
- Verify the applicant’s military ID if applying in person.
- Dateline stamp and initial the Military Identification Verified line on the REG 5045.
- Process the transaction as usual.
It is not necessary to verify an applicant’s ID on returning report of deposit of fees (RDFs) applications if the REG 5045 has the original dateline stamp and initials.