Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 26 of 38

Chapter 25: Permits and Decals

25.000 California Fuel Trip Permit (BOE 123)

Chapter 25 Permits and Decals

25.000 California Fuel Trip Permit (BOE 123)

To obtain a California Fuel Trip Permit (BOE 123) from the Board of Equalization (BOE) as required for the operation of a nonresident commercial vehicle powered by a fuel other than gasoline, the BOE implemented a new online registration (eReg) program to purchase fuel trip permits through their website and no longer prints a BOE 123. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will continue to issue the printed version of the BOE 123 until inventory is exhausted. Once exhausted, these permits can only be purchased on the BOE website at, and in person at BOE motor carrier offices and BOE field offices. BOE 123 permits may be issued to California resident users and interstate users. Purchase of a four-day Nonresident Commercial Vehicle Trip Permit (REG 41) is not required.

Permit Issuance—You must do the following:

  • Collect a fee for each permit issued. Refer to Appendix 1F for fees.
  • Instruct the customer to carry the original in the vehicle, and mail the completed pink copy to:
    State Board of Equalization
    PO Box 942879
    Sacramento, CA 94279-0001