Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 23 of 38

Chapter 22: Corrections and Adjustments

22.100 Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Corrections (VC §4451)

To correct the VIN or engine number shown on the certificates, the following must be submitted:

  • The California Certificate of Title.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form.

A substantial change in the VIN may mean the certificates are for a different vehicle. If the correction substantially alters the VIN on the certificates, documentation must be presented to substantiate that the VIN is not for another vehicle, or a motor vehicle bond must be submitted.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • The documentation presented must be acceptable for a VIN correction.