Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 26 of 38

Chapter 25: Permits and Decals

25.015 Foreign Resident In-Transit Permit (REG 34)(VC §6700.1; CR&TC §6366.2)

A foreign visitor who purchases a new American-made automobile or motorcycle may obtain a 30-day Foreign Resident In-Transit Permit, which allows the foreign resident to operate the vehicle in California for up to 30 days without payment of registration fees or sales tax.

The visitor must have made prearrangements to buy the vehicle in California prior to entry into the United States and must provide foreign residency proof in the form of a passport or visa.

The vehicle must be removed from the United States or delivered to a carrier prior to the permit’s expiration date. The permit fee is not refunded if the visitor fails to buy or pick up the vehicle.