Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 2 of 38

Chapter 1: General Registration Information

1.060 Junk or Salvage Vehicle VIN Inspections (VC §§5505 and 11519)

Prior to being registered for on-highway use, a vehicle previously junked or salvaged in California or another state (nonresident vehicle) must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee or referred to the California Highway Patrol (CHP) for inspection.

  • All revived junk or salvage applications are subject to the CHP Inspection Fee.
  • CHP normally issues a Certificate of Inspection (CHP 97C) after the inspection is completed, which must be submitted with the vehicle registration application.
    • Additional verification is not required.
    • If appropriate, the CHP may complete a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form or an Application for Assigned VIN Plate (REG 124) form in lieu of the CHP 97C.