Section 4 of 38
Chapter 3: Collection and Payment of Fees and Penalties
Chapter 3 Collection and Payment of Fees and Penalties
3.050 Penalties (VC §§9552–9554.5 and 9561 and CR&TC §10854)
- A late penalty is assessed whenever fees are due and not paid as required.
- The penalty is assessed at a rate based on the extent of the delinquency.
A penalty is not assessed in the following situations:
- The fees for an application for original California registration are paid within 20 days of the date fees become due.
- A California dealer or lessor-retailer submits the fees and application for registration or transfer of a used vehicle within 30 days from the date of sale (VC §9553(c)(1)).
- This includes nonresident vehicles and vehicles where the registration expires while in the dealer inventory.
- A transferee acquires a vehicle, the registration subsequently expires, and the transferee pays the renewal fees within 20 days from the transfer date.
- A legal owner or its agent repossesses a vehicle and all renewal fees due are paid within 60 days of the repossession date.
- A repossessed vehicle is sold through a motor vehicle auction dealer and all renewal fees due are paid within 60 days of sale at auction.
- A garage or storage facility keeper establishes a lien against a vehicle and the registration expires while in the garage/storage facility keeper’s possession.
- A Certificate of Non-Operation (REG 102) form is acceptable and renewal fees are paid on or before the date of first operation of the vehicle.
- The registration expiration date or the last penalty-free date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or state holiday, and the fees are paid on the next business day.