Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 16 of 38

Chapter 15: Off-Highway Vehicles

15.155 Utility-Terrain Vehicle (UTV) VC §531

A UTV is a motor vehicle:

  • Designed for operation off of the highway.
  • Suspended on four tires.
  • Has a steering wheel for steering control.
  • Has one seat to accommodate a driver and one passenger sitting side by side.

The vehicle identification number analysis (VINA) program may erroneously generate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) body type model (BTM) as defined in Vehicle Code §111 for a UTV, because the definition of a UTV varies from state to state.

If BTM ATV generates for a UTV, the procedures below must be followed:

  • Follow the procedures found in the Original OHV Registration Application section in this chapter.
  • Change the BTM to 4W.

For a UTV used exclusively in agricultural operations (implements of husbandry), refer to the Special Equipment (SE) Identification Plates section in Chapter 16.

A new body type model (BTM) “RO” was created for recreational off-highway vehicles (ROVs).

An ROV has:

  • steering wheel for steering control.
  • Nonstraddle (bucket or bench) seats for the operator and all passengers.
  • A maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
  • An engine displacement equal to or less than 1000cc.

The procedures below must be followed:

When registering an original off-highway vehicle (OHV), continue to follow current procedures in this chapter. If the application is for an ROV:

  • Use BTM “RO” and body type code (BTC) “Y.”
  • Fees are due for the appropriate indicia issued.

If the ROV is amphibious and requires dual registration (OHV and vessel):

  • Follow current procedures in Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual (VIRP), Chapter 27 when a completed Application for Registration Number Certificate of Ownership and Certificate of Undocumented Vessel (BOAT 101) form is submitted.
  • Process the OHV application first.
  • Use BTM “AP” (amphibian) for the OHV application and vessel type “A” (amphibious) for the vessel application.

A California Certificate of Title is issued only to OHVs for dual registration.