Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 23 of 38

Chapter 22: Corrections and Adjustments

22.085 Renewal or Planned Nonoperation (PNO) Fees Paid on the Wrong Vehicle (VC §§4751 and 9562)

Both Vehicles Owned by the Same Owner—When the renewal of PNO fees are paid on the wrong vehicle and the registration for the correct vehicle expires, the following must be submitted:

  • The incorrect registration card.
  • A completed Statement of Facts (REG 256) form which explains fees were paid on the wrong vehicle and identifies the correct vehicle.
  • Any additional fees due or a completed Application for Refund (ADM 399) form, which explains the mistake, shows the amount paid in error, amount to be applied to the correct vehicle, and amount requested as a refund.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Waive the late penalty if the registration was renewed in error, the owner did not operate the vehicle, and their intent was to file a Certificate of Non-Operation/Planned Non-Operation Certification (REG 102) form.

Vehicle Sold After Renewal/PNO Fees Are Paid—A refund cannot be issued when an owner pays the renewal or PNO fees and then sells the vehicle.

Fees Paid After The Vehicle Has Been Sold—A refund or transfer of fees may be considered, if renewal or PNO fees are paid by the owner after the vehicle is sold.

Transfer to New Owner Not Updated—If the vehicle record still reflects the seller’s name as the owner, the following must be submitted:

  • The incorrect registration card.
  • A REG 256 stating:
    — The vehicle was registered in error for the current registration year.— They did not operate the vehicle.
    — The registration fees paid were intended for another vehicle.
    — The license plate number, make, and VIN for the intended vehicle.— The name of the buyer of the vehicle.
    — The date of sale, if known.

Transfer to New Owner Updated—The applicant must provide evidence that the date of sale was before the date fees were paid if the vehicle record reflects a new owner’s name. A copy of the Notice of Release of Liability (REG 138) form is acceptable evidence.
The following must be submitted:

  • Evidence that the date of sale was before the date fees were paid.
  • A REG 256 explaining that fees were paid after the vehicle was sold.
  • An ADM 399.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Call FOSU at (916) 657-8035 to have a VLT Stop 53 (Refer to Correspondence) placed on the vehicle.
  • Attach the incorrect registration card and unused sticker to the ADM 399 and forward to the appropriate RPU in DMV headquarters for further action. The RPU will request the fees due from the new owner and adjust the fees due on the incorrect vehicle.

Fees will not be refunded or transferred without documentation.