Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 21 of 38

Chapter 20: Replacements and Substitutes

20.030 Disabled Person (DP) Parking Placards (VC §22511.55 and §22511.56)

A placard owner may obtain a substitute DP placard if the original placard (permanent or temporary) is lost, stolen, or mutilated.

The following must be submitted:

  • A REG 156.
  • The fee, if applicable, for a temporary DP placard only. No fee is required for a replacement permanent DP placard.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Verify that the applicant had an unexpired DP placard.
  • Pick up and destroy any mutilated DP placard.
  • Issue a new DP placard and ID card.

An application for DP placard (REG 195) form, with the Doctor’s Certification of Disability section completed, is required after a DP placard is cancelled for any reason (for example, misuse, fraud reported by law enforcement, or erroneous application).

The following must be submitted:

  • A new REG 195 with Sections A through E completed by applicant as appropriate and Sections F and G completed by doctor.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • Review REG 195 and verify the form is complete.
  • Issue a new DP placard.

DP placards renewals are no longer automatically mailed to out-of-state addresses.

The following must be submitted:

  • A REG 156 to renew their DP placard when their address is listed as out-of-state.

Substitute DP placards are not allowed for an organization. The organization must reapply for an original DP placard.