Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 12 of 38

Chapter 11: Transfers

11.195 U.S. Customs Sales (VC §5909)

The U.S. Customs Office may seize and sell vehicles for federal violations.

The following must be submitted:

  • An ownership document, which may be:
    • The California Certificate of Title.
    • An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form and a nonresident title.
    • A GSA Standard 97 form. A bill of sale or receipt from the U.S. Customs Office, signed by the Cashier of Customs, that names the buyer and describes the vehicle may be accepted in lieu of signatures on the title.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form, unless there is a vehicle record on the database or the California Certificate of Title is submitted.
  • The odometer mileage disclosure on a complying title or on the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), as appropriate.
  • A smog certification, if appropriate.
  • The fees due.