Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 23 of 38

Chapter 22: Corrections and Adjustments

22.035 Changing the Body Type Model (BTM) and/or Weight

Changes made by the current owner— To change the BTM and/or weight when modifications or alterations were made by the current owner.

The following must be submitted:

  • The California Certificate of Title or Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title (REG 227) form.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form (completed after the change/alteration has taken place).
  • Statement of Facts (REG 256) form with the Statement for Vehicles Body Change section completed by the owner.
  • Evidence of purchase or ownership of the added parts. This may be the original on copies of bills of sale, invoices, sales slips, etc. A bond may be required if the owner does not have evidence for parts valued over $4,999.

If a used body was removed from a different vehicle owned by the applicant and placed on the vehicle, the applicant must explain that on the REG 256. The license plate number of the vehicle from which the body was removed must be given.

  • A weight certificate for the altered vehicle, unless the vehicle is one of the exceptions to the weight certificate requirement shown in the Weight Certificate Exceptions section in Chapter 13.
  • Additional weight fees if the altered vehicle falls into a higher weight class.

If the change is due to a DMV or dealer error, see the Correcting a Vehicle Description Error section in this chapter.

Determine if an additional weight fee is due. If due, prorate both the new weight fee and the old weight fee for the reminder of the registration year and then subtract the prorated old weight fee from the prorated new weight fee.

A refund of weight fees cannot be given when the altered vehicle falls into a lower weight class.

Changes made by a prior owner—To change the BTM and/or weight when the owner acquired the vehicle with a BTM and/or weight which differs from that shown on the California Certificate of Title, the following must be submitted:

  • The California Certificate of Title or Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title (REG 227) form.
    — If the title is held by the lienholder, the applicant must submit the following documents to their lienholder for submission to DMV with the California Certificate of Title.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form, unless the body type can be verified from the vehicle identification number (VIN) using a National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) Passenger Vehicle Identification Manual or Commercial Vehicle Identification Manual.
  • A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form stating the vehicle was acquired with its current BTM and/or weight and no body changes or alterations were made since acquiring the vehicle.
  • For commercial vehicles weighing:
    — Less than 10,001 pounds unladen, a weight certificate.
    A weight certificate is required even if the correction is for BTM only (changing the BTM could alter the weight of the vehicle).
    — 10,001 pounds unladen or more, a Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW)/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008) form and a REG 256 with the estimated unladen weight.
  • Additional fees due, if any.
    — A replacement title fee is not charged, unless the California Certificate of Title is lost or stolen.

The procedures below must be followed:

  • The body type must be verified using an NICB manual if a REG 31 is not submitted with the application.
  • If the body type can be determined from the NICB manual, “body type OK per VIN” must be written on the application.
  • Must be processed as a clearing item, unless special handling by DMV headquarters is required

    If the vehicle is changing from auto to commercial or commercial to auto, the registration expiration date will change, and weight fees may be due.