Section 14 of 38
Chapter 13: Commercial Vehicles
13.150 Weight Exceptions
Chapter 13 Commercial Vehicles
13.150 Weight Certificate Exceptions
A weight certificate is not required or may be waived for:
- New commercial vehicles weighing 8,000 pounds or less, which are sold by California-licensed dealers. The dealer must certify to the unladen weight on the Application For Registration Of New Vehicle (REG 397) form.
- Trailers or semi-trailers registered under the Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI) program. The estimated unladen weight is required.
- Two-or three-axle motor vehicles weighing 10,001 pounds or more. The estimated unladen weight is required.
- Vehicles previously registered in California when the prior California commercial registration shows the unladen weight and number of axles and the application includes a REG 256 stating no changes or alterations have been made to the vehicle.
- Nonresident commercial vehicles with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less, if the nonresident title or registration shows the empty, unladen, shipping, scale, tare, or WT/Wheels weight.
“Weight” as shown on the Texas title is the empty weight. “Weight with wheels” (Wt/Wheels) as shown on the New Mexico title and vehicle registration is the empty or unladen weight.