Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 17 of 38

Chapter 16: Special Equipment

16.020 Transfers (VC §§5017 and 5018)

Each time SE is transferred, the new owner must qualify for issuance of SE plates.

The following must be submitted:

  • The same documents as shown in the Identification Plates section in this chapter.

The seller/owner of record completes the information on the back of the SE ID card and forwards it to DMV to report the transfer.

Forward any SE ID cards with transfer information received in the field office to the Special Processing Unit (SPU) in DMV headquarters.

Refer to the Substitute Special Equipment (SE) Plate/Stickers and/or Replacement ID Card section in Chapter 20.