Vehicle Industry Registration Procedures Manual

Driver Education illustration

Section 12 of 38

Chapter 11: Transfers

11.045 Dealer Out of Business Registration Process

Dealer Out of Business (DOB) and/or Customer Claims Against Dealer’s Bond.

A DMV investigator/inspector picks up any pending applications when a dealer goes out of business. If the investigator/inspector has all or part of the registration documents, they will forward the documents and all pertinent data to DMV.

In some cases, a person who knows the dealer where they purchased a vehicle is out of business will contact a field office. In such cases, advise the customer of the requirements. It is not necessary to contact Investigations.

Paperwork Not Available—The applicant must:

  • For a new vehicle, complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) form.
  • For a used vehicle, submit the usual transfer requirements.
  • For a nonresident vehicle, submit the usual nonresident vehicle registration requirements.
  • Attach a copy of the sales contract and the Investigations letter, if received, to the application.

A copy of the sales contract, a replacement Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin, or a motor vehicle bond may be accepted for new vehicles. A motor vehicle bond may be required for used or nonresident vehicles, if proper ownership documents cannot be obtained. Refer to the Motor Vehicle Ownership Surety Bond.