Section 8 of 38
Chapter 7: Miscellaneous Originals
7.020 Remanufactured Vehicle
Chapter 7 Miscellaneous Originals
7.020 Remanufactured Vehicle (CVC §§507.5, 507.8, 4153)
A “Remanufactured Vehicle” is a vehicle that has been constructed by a licensed remanufacturer and consists of any used or reconditioned integral parts, including but not limited to, frame, engine, transmission, axles, brakes, or suspension.
- Remanufactured vehicles may be sold under a distinctive trade name.
- An existing vehicle incidentally repaired, restored, or modified by replacing or adding parts or accessories is not a remanufactured vehicle.
A “Remanufacturer” is any person who, for commission, money, or other item of value, produces a vehicle, subject to registration, which consists of any used or reconditioned integral parts, including, but not limited to, frame, engine, transmission, axles, brakes, or suspension.
A person who incidentally repairs, restores, or modifies existing vehicles by replacing or adding parts or accessories is not a remanufacturer.
A licensed remanufacturer must:
- Identify the vehicle based on the existing Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) when a used frame is incorporated into the vehicle.
- Die-stamp the VIN on the frame when a new VIN is assigned.
- Identify the make as the authorized remanufactured make. The original make name must be removed from the vehicle.
- Identify the year model as the year of manufacture shown on the Certificate of Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 8).
- Disclose on the VIN plate or label that the vehicle is remanufactured and contains used and/or reconditioned parts.
- Remove the original manufacturer’s trade name unless the original manufacturer and the remanufacturer are the same.
Certificate of Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 8)
An original Certificate of Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 8) endorsed from the remanufacturer to the dealer and from the dealer to the retail purchaser must accompany a remanufactured vehicle registration application.
A photocopy is not acceptable.
Application for Registration Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 7)
Remanufactured vehicle dealers must complete an Application for Registration Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 7) upon first sale of the remanufactured vehicle.
Completing the REG 7
|Vehicle I.D. Number||the complete vehicle identification number (VIN).|
|Motorcycle Engine No. or Add’l ID No.||the complete engine number and number of cc’s for motorcycles only. If more than one VIN appears on the vehicle, enter the second VIN|
|Make||the authorized remanufactured make of the vehicle, not the original make nor the model.|
|Body Type||the body type abbreviation used by the department.|
Refer to Chapter 30, Inquiries, for abbreviations.
|Equipment No.||equipment number only for fleet vehicles.|
|Date First Sold as a Remanufactured Vehicle||the date the purchaser:|
• signed a purchase contract or security agreement, and
• took physical possession or delivery of the vehicle. (CVC §5901d)
|For Trailer Coaches Only||the length and width in inches for a trailer coach or a camp trailer.|
|Yr Model||the year of remanufacture as the year model.|
|Motive Power||the motive power for all vehicles. The fuel types are:|
Gasoline Diesel Electric Methanol
Natural Gas Trailer Propane Hybrid
|Number of Axles||the number of axles only for commercial motor vehicles and trailers.|
|Unladen Weight||the unladen (empty) weight for all commercial motor vehicles and trailers.|
|County of Residence||the buyer’s county of residence.|
|Date First Operated||the date first operated by the retail purchaser.|
|Sold To||Buyer(s) Name(s):|
• Print the true full name of each buyer as shown on the buyer’s driver license or ID card and check the “AND” or “OR” box, if there is more than one buyer/owner.
• Documents are issued with “AND” if a box is not checked.
• Refer to Registration to Co-Owners information in Section 1.050 of this handbook.
• Print the name of the lessor followed by the abbreviation “LSR” and the name(s) of the lessee followed by the abbreviation “LSE.”
• Do not join the names with “and” or “or.”
• Refer to Registration of Leased Vehicles information in Section 1.055 of this handbook.
Business or Residence Address:
• Show the buyer’s residence and mailing address.
Legal Owner or Lienholder:
• Show the name and mailing address of the legal owner/lienholder or the word “None” and initial the entry.
• A legible impression by a 12-point type rubber stamp is acceptable.)
Dealer applications without an entry in the legal owner section are returned to the dealer.
|Passenger Vehicle for Hire||Check the appropriate box.|
The dealer is certifying to the correctness of all information furnished and to the vehicle’s compliance with the provisions of the Vehicle Code.
|Signature of Applicant:|
• The buyer’s usual signature or a signature by power of attorney.
• Refer to Section 1.055 for signature requirements.
• Enter the dealer’s name, address, and dealer number.
• An authorized representative for the dealer must sign.
Salesperson’s Name and No.:
• Enter the salesperson’s name and number.
|Lower portion of the|
REG 7 application (Temporary Identification or Customer’s Copy)
|Enter all of the following:|
• The vehicle descriptive information.
• The name of the registered owner(s).
• The dealer and salesperson numbers.
• The odometer mileage reading.
|Certificate of Cost||The full purchase price of the vehicle.|
• Do not include sales tax, license fees, or financing costs.
• Do not deduct the value of any trade-in.
Distribution of the REG 7 copies is identical to that of the Application for Registration of New Vehicle (REG 397).
Refer to Chapter 6, New Vehicles Sold by California Dealers, of this handbook for the instructions.
Remanufactured Vehicle Registration Requirements
- Completed Application for Registration of a Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 7).
- The original Certificate of Remanufactured Vehicle (REG 8) endorsed from the remanufacturer to the dealer, and from the dealer to the retail purchaser.
- Vehicle Verification (REG 31/REG 343).
- Weight certificate for a commercial vehicle weighing less than 10,001 pounds. If the vehicle weighs 10,001 pounds or more, or if the vehicle is a trailer in the PTI program, the estimated unladen weight is required and must be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256).
- Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) completed and signed by the owner for a commercial vehicle weighing 6,001 pounds or more unladen (Not required for pickups).
- Smog certification, if appropriate.