Section 12 of 38
Chapter 11: Transfers
11.180 Transfer to “Estate of”
A vehicle may be transferred from the decedent to the estate of the decedent without any signatures on the California Certificate of Title.
In addition to the procedures listed in the Basic Transfer Requirements section in this chapter, the following must be submitted:
- California Certificate of Title with:
- The new owner section on the back of the title completed showing “Estate of (name of decedent)” and the decedent’s address.
- The name and address of the legal owner(lienholder) shown on the front of the title, if any, reentered on the back of the title.
- A Statement of Facts (REG 256) form which declares:
- Letters Testamentary have not been issued.
- The relationship of the deceased to the person completing the REG 256.
- A transfer fee. Use tax and a smog certification are not required.